Speak with an Agent Today 1-844-650-5948

Compare Medicare Plans
From 70+ Insurance Companies

We Shop. You Save. We help you compare quotes from health
insurance companies listed on HealthCare.gov, plus many more.

Medicare Supplement (Medigap) Plan F

medigap plan f

Finding the cheapest Medicare supplement Plan F rates can be simple, but anyone who has reached the enrollment period for Medicare knows that understanding what exactly is covered by the various plans is complicated and often frustrating to figure out.  Here are the basics: Everyone who enrolls in Medicare gets Medicare Part A, which covers hospital stays and other costs.  For a small monthly premium, most people also enroll in Medicare Part B, which covers doctor’s appointments.  Additionally, many people choose a Medicare Part D plan to help pay for the cost of their prescriptions.  THEN there are options like Medicare Supplement (Medigap) Part F, which helps to cover what Medicare does not.

Medical Costs Can Be Overwhelming

Medicare A and B leave behind a significant number of copays and coinsurances.  For someone who is very healthy and rarely sees the doctor or a hospital, this might be fine; for someone who has regular visits with doctors or frequent hospital stays, these costs can quickly become overwhelming.  Part D also has coverage gaps and donut holes, which can be incredibly overwhelming for those who take several medications. Between hospital visits, surgeries, in-home care, medications, and other medical necessities, costs can quickly add up. Supplement plans such as F seeks to alleviate some of this financial burden.

Some people who have very low income levels may be able to qualify for state programs that can help pay for extra Medicare costs.  For others, there are various Medicare Supplement programs – often called Medigap programs – that help to pay for these coverage gaps, coinsurances, and deductibles.  Medicare Plan F falls into this group of programs.

Get Started Today

  • Compare plan options
  • Start saving on monthly premiums
  • Be confident in your coverage
mutual of omaha

What Does Medigap Plan F Cover?

Many different companies offer Medicare Supplement plans.  Due to federal legislation, all plans must offer the same coverage within their Medigap Plan F.  So three insurance companies may all offer Plan F, and each Plan F will have the exact same benefits to the insured person.  Medicare Supplement Plan F covers:

  • Hospitalization: Plan F covers Medicare Part A coinsurance, and also pays for 365 days of hospitalization after Part A coverage ends.
  • Medical Expenses: Plan F pays for Medicare Part B coinsurances
  • Deductibles for both Medicare Part A and Part B
  • Excess charges on Part B (if your doctor bills you for the difference between what they charge and what Medicare will payIn other words, this supplement plan will pay 20% that Medicare Part B often requires you to pay.
  • Doctor Office Copays: Part of why this plan is so popular is because it covers all the gaps in Original Medicare Part A and Part B. This includes your hospital and outpatient deductible. Say goodbye to out-of-pocket expenses for you at your doctor’s office!

Here are more great benefits Medicare Supplement Plan F offers:

  • Choose any doctor—from over 880,000 physicians nationwide.
  • Referrals not required—Medigap plans allow you to see any Medicare specialist whenever you choose to do so. You do not need a referral from your primary doctor.
  • Renewal Guaranteed—Your coverage will not be cancelled due to the condition of your health or the number of claims filed.

Example of Medigap Plan F Coverage:

David was just approved for Medigap Plan F.  As his arthritis has been causing him a lot of pain, he decides to see a specialist. Medicare pays for 80% of David’s visit to this specialist. Medicare Supplement Part F covers the remaining 20%, and David owes nothing out of pocket.

From there, David’s doctor orders further testing at an imaging lab. Medicare pays for 80% of the cost of this order. Medigap Plan F pay for the remaining 20%, and again, David pays absolutely nothing out of pocket.

David’s doctor informs him he is a candidate for surgery. After a hospital stay, David returns home. He has a nurse check in on him a couple of times a week. Between the surgery, hospital stay, and in-home visits, the total bill runs in the upwards of $60,000. Medicare covers $48,000, and Medicare Supplement Part F pays the remaining $12,000.

Bottom line: In this scenario, other than the premium for Plan F, the only out-of-pocket spending for David is for his medications.

If Medigap Plan F isn’t right for you, there are several other options.  Some people find that the coverage in Plan F is more than what they need, and that the premium is too high.  If this is the case, other Plans have more affordable coverage at a smaller premium, or our agents can help you find the cheapest Medicare supplement Plan F that will fit your budget.

The Sooner You Act, the Better

medicare supplement plan f

It is important to note, however, that when you enroll in a Medigap plan is important; if you enroll as soon as you’re eligible for Medicare, you will be able to enroll without your health being examined.  If you enroll after that initial period, or want to switch between plans (From Plan H to Plan F, for example), the insurance company will review your health and may charge you a higher premium, or they may refuse to cover you at all.

Is Medicare Supplement Plan F on its Way out the Door?

Yes.  As of the year 2020, Medigap Plan F will no longer be available. At this time, new enrollees will not be able to acquire this specific coverage. However, those who are already enrolled will be able to keep their existing plan. There are other similar plans available, as well, such as Plan G, which has quickly gained popularity. Ask an agent today to learn what supplement plan works best for you.

Contact us For more info on our Affordable Medicare Plans.
Agents Standing by 1-844-650-5948

FAQs about Mutual of Omaha Plan G

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Medigap Plan F

Q: Will this plan cover my prescriptions?

A: While Plan F will cover medications given to a patient in the hospital or clinic setting, it won’t cover retail prescription medications. However, depending on an enrollee’s specific medical needs, this plan may help ease the overall medical financial burden many face. This in turn can help make prescriptions costs easier for an enrollee to handle.

Q: What about dental, vision, and hearing benefits?

A: Medigap Plan F will not cover these routine services.  However, there are standalone plans available that will cover dental, vision, as well as hearing.

Q: Will Medigap Plan F cover chiropractic visits?

A: Yes. This plan covers chiropractic adjustments, however, it does not cover other chiropractic services, including x-rays.

Q: How much does Medicare Supplement Plan F cost?

A: This can vary, depending on the person enrolling. For example, your individual cost may vary based on your zip code, gender, and whether or not you use tobacco. For a specific quote, be sure to speak to one of our helpful insurance agents. They can assist you in finding a price that works for you.

Q: Does my state offer Medigap Plan F?

A: Many states do offer this plan.  However, Minnesota, Massachusetts, and Wisconsin do not offer Medigap Plan F.  These states have their own standardized Medicare Supplement plans.

1-844-650-5948

Contact us today for more info on our Affordable Medicare Plans